Seoul, the capital and largest metropolis of south Korea is known for its lively atmosphere, sprawling shopping malls, huge crowds of foreigners from around the globe, tall sky touching buildings, palaces, mountains and the beautiful Han river. The magnificent city is popular for its culture, history, shopping, and nightlife.
If you are visiting Korea for the first time install the Korean subway app in your phones since people hardly know English here and you might find it difficult to get to the right place. The following blog gives you the directions based on the Korean metro stations of Seoul subway line.
Following are some of the major attractions of in and around Seoul:
Get enthralled by the breathtaking beauty of the huge Gyeongbokgung palace which is the main and largest palace of the Five Grand Palaces built by the kings of the Joseon dynasty. Remarkably, the most representative edifices of the Joseon Dynasty, Gyeonghoeru Pavilion, and Hyangwonjeong Pond have remained relatively intact.
Good season to visit is spring when the palace looks beautiful amidst the fall colors of the foliages. One can take photos wearing royal attires that are available there on rent. The National Palace Museum of Korea is located south of Heungnyemun Gate, and the National Folk Museum is located on the eastern side within Hyangwonjeong.
How to reach Gyeongbokgung palace:
- Get off at Gyeongbokgung Station (Seoul Subway Line 3) and Exit 5.
N Seoul Tower/ Namsam tower
Visit N Seoul tower or Namsam tower and get overwhelmed by the ecstatic 360-degree panoramic view of the Seoul city especially during the night. The ride in the Namsam cable car on the way to the tower was also very exciting and you could see the houses, streets, lights, skyscrapers gradually become very very tiny as the car takes off for the tower.
How to reach Namsam Tower:
- From Mmyeondong station of South Korean Metro line head towards Exit 3.
- After Exiting the metro station, walk for 15mins along the right side of the Pacific Hotel till you reach the car boarding place near tunnel 3 which would take you to the tower.
Hangang river city cruise:
Have a soothing memorable cruise in the Han or Hangang River that flows through the heart of Seoul and see the beautiful city from amidst the river.
How to get there:
- [Yeouido Terminal], Yeouinaru Station (Seoul Subway Line 5), Exit 3
- Go 300m straight out of the exit and turn down the path across from Yeouido Middle Shool.
- Follow the path to the Hangang River.
- The terminal will be about 200m to your right. Or,
- [Jamsil Terminal]
- Sincheon Station (Seoul Subway Line 2), Exit 6
- Go 700m straight out of the exit, passing under the highway, until you reach the Hangang River.
- The terminal will be about 200m to your left.
Hiking in Bukhansan National Park:
Get lost in nature amidst lush green foliage. With its granite peaks and Bukhansanseong Fortress, Bukhansan is perfect for hiking in all seasons. There are series of peaks. Come across Buddhist temples, gushing waterfalls as you climb up the steep terrains and reach a peak.
One can find fall colors and a vast stretch of orange and red hues if you visit from October end till November mid. Get mesmerized by the view of the picturesque city of Seoul and Han river from a peak.
How to reach Bukhansan National Park:
- Get off at Gireum Station (Seoul Subway Line 4), Exit 3.
- Take Bus 110B or 143, and get off at the last bus stop.
Nami Island or Namseon island near Seoul
which is a half-moon shaped island at about 63km from Seoul. For ages, it has been the most favorite spot for the casting of all romantic Korean dramas and films. One can find many animals like rabbits, squirrels, peacocks etc and many trees like chestnut and poplar trees throughout.
Treat yourself with water sports and relaxation in the lap of nature. Resort villas and bungalows are available for
lodging. You can get to the island via ferry ride or Zipline.
How to reach Nami island:
- Take the shuttle bus from Gapyeong Station.
Trick Eye Museum in Seoul
Trick-eye museum in Seoul is a combination of three museums Ice museum, carnival street, and love museum. The museum provides a plethora of artworks that are 2D but provides the illusion of being in 3D. Instead of merely viewing paintings (as in a typical art gallery) you can interact with the paintings, posing yourself with the art in the background and get an illusion of being the part of the original artwork.
Don’t forget to have a whole lot of memory space on your camera or phone since you need to accommodate all your pictures. Click plenty of wonderful selfies and photos. Stand on the footprints on the ground to get the best effect and angle in the background.
How to reach Trick-eye Museum in Seoul:
- Get off at [Subway]
- Hongik University Station (Seoul Subway Line 2), Exit 9.
- Go straight 150m, cross the road, and turn left onto Hongik-Ro Street.
- Go straight 120m, and turn right down the second side street (in between TONYMOLY and Holika Holika).
- Continue going 100m to arrive at Trickeye Museum on the right.
Street shopping on Hongik University:
indulge yourself in the crowded streets of Hongik university for shopping in the roadside stalls as well as lots of fashions stores, enjoying street dancers, street musicians, and lip-smacking Korean foods.
How to get there:
- Get off at [Subway]
- Hongik University Station (Seoul Subway Line 2, Gyeongui-Jungang, AREX), Exit 8 or 9.
Mario outlet of Gasan digital complex – The first fashion outlet mall of Korea.
Mario outlet situated in the Gasan digital complex is the first fashion outlet mall of South Korea. There are both domestic and international fashion brands for Men, Women, Outdoor wear, Sportswear, Children, etc.. One can find luxury brand items, furniture, household items, cosmetics, shoes, food & beverage, etc..
Visit Lotte factory outlet which is another famous outlet of South Korea to get the best of all clothing jackets shoes etc at a cheaper price.
How to Reach Mario Outlet, Gasan Digital complex
- Get off at Gasan Digital Complex Station (Seoul Subway Line 7), Exit 4.
- Go straight for about 350m and turn left at the first corner.
- Continue for another 250m to arrive at Mario Outlet.
Visit bars & Pubs at Itaewon
Get engrossed in the most happening place and enjoy the nightlife in some of the exotic pubs and bars at Itaewon. It is a place where foreigners from the west are most commonly found and hence you will be glad to find people understanding and speaking English which is otherwise very hard to find in South Korea.
How to reach Itaewon
- Get off at Itaewon Station / Noksapyeong Station / Hangangjin Station (Seoul Subway Line 6)
Visit the Coax Aquarium housed in coax mall, one of the largest aquariums of south Korea that contains a large number of sharks and several other species of marine creatures.
How to reach Coax aquarium:
- Get off at Samseong Station (Seoul Subway Line 2), Exit 5 & 6.
- It is directly connected to the COEX Mall. The aquarium is located at the end of the Ocean Walk section.
Hope you enjoyed reading the list. Share your traveling experience with us in the comment below.