Gokarna beach camping: Resorts, cafe, Kudle, Om & Paradise beach

Gokarna beach, Om beach, Kudle beach, paradise beach, half moon beach (6)

Understand the beaches around Gokarna first: Refer the Gokarna beach map below which includes all the famous beaches:

The trail given in the map above are walking trail. However, one can also walk along the sea-shore (almost) to cover all the beaches:

Gokarna beach, Om beach, Kudle beach, paradise beach, half moon beach (17)

How to reach Gokarna?

Gokarna is almost 500 Kms from Bangalore so, I would prefer to go by train/ Private vehicle rather by bus.

From To Distance By bus by train
 Bangalore  Gokarna  500 kms  10-12 hours  17.5 hours
 Goa  Gokarna  140 kms  4 hours  2-2.5 hours
 Mangalore  Gokarna  220 kms  6 hours  3-4 hours

Train from Bangalore to Gokarna road station:
Karwar Express (16523) leaves Bangalore city Junction @ 20;00 reaches Gokarna road station @ 13:19; frequency: everyday
Sleeper chargees: 405
Third AC charges: 1100Gokarna beach, Om beach, Kudle beach, paradise beach, half moon beach (16)

Where can I camp on the beach?

If you are carrying your own tent, you can pitch that at Paradise beach (Only beach where camping is allowed). You can also camp at the Namaste cafe or some resorts allow you to camp if you are in a group. They would only provide you the space. Rest you have to arrange yourself.Gokarna beach, Om beach, Kudle beach, paradise beach, half moon beach (15)

Where can I stay in resorts/ cottages/ cafes?

Click here or here to know more about it.

Tell me something about Gokarna beach?

Gokarna beach is the main beach names after the town stretched over several kilometers. Its a dirty beach because its a famous beach for pilgrims and local tourists. During festival like Shivaratri (mostly in february), it becomes a large crowd place and picnic spots for many. People use this beach as open-air public toilets. So, walk carefully. Water is smelly too. so swimming is not advisable either. You can get food in local as well nice restaurants around the beach also.
However, you can consider walking a couple of kilometres north to the town along the beach. It gets better as you go. This part of the beach is closer to the Gangavalli River. Here Gangavalli river meets the sea and the place not at all crowded. except for a very good resort here: Linger at Bavikodla (Click here to know about this resorts)Gokarna beach, Om beach, Kudle beach, paradise beach, half moon beach (14)

Kudle beach is just a short down hill walk (20 mins) from Gokarna beach. Once beautiful, now this beach is alfo getting encroached by the construction and grennery is disppearing day by day. Still, Kudle beach is far better than Gokarna beach. There are good as well as local restaurants at Kudle beach. Though handfuls but their quality is better.

OM beach lies south of Kudle beach and can be accessed by foot from Kudle beach (20 mins). Om beach (Southern Part) is packed with restaurants and travel agents too. Its named after its shape as Om in Hindi language.

Half Moon beach is smaller and much less developed than other beaches. It can be by walking over the moorlands from the Om beach towards further south (20 mins). Facilities are limited here. However, there are a couple of small restaurants and huts.Gokarna beach, Om beach, Kudle beach, paradise beach, half moon beach (13)

Paradise beach is the southern most and the last beach in this series of beaches. It offers no facilities (20 mins from half moon beach). Be careful about the Police. They come to this beach at times to check for illegal activities like Ganja, Charas, camping, boozing during peak times. There are no restaurants or huts. Sometimes, You might one or two locals selling things like ice-creams or cold drinks.

Gokarna beach, Om beach, Kudle beach, paradise beach, half moon beach (12)

About trekkerp

Author of The Girl from the Woods and a Travel writer from India looking forward to collect quirky tales from around the world

32 thoughts on “Gokarna beach camping: Resorts, cafe, Kudle, Om & Paradise beach

• trekkerp Post author

The best way will be to go to a restaurant order for breakfast and get fresh there. I am not aware of any public toilets.

1. Aswin

Hi,

Me and 3 of my friends are planning a visit during New Year.Since the hotels are fully occupied, we have no choice other than to camp.Can you suggest any alternative accomodations(I tried in booking.com,yatra,go ibibo etc.. and no rooms are available during that time)

2. tc

Really nice article.

You mentioned camping might trouble in seasons, I din’t get here – whether their local festive season because of religious place that police gets strict or tourism season where flocks comes in abundance and party (e.g. 31st December)?

• trekkerp Post author

People usually gets strict when tourists create nuisance like venturing inside the water in the night, or smoking weed etc. If you are mindful, you should be in trouble.

3. nikhiltejak

Hi there, I’ll be going to Gokarna on 5th december, and I’ll be reaching late, at maybe around 10, so trekking to Paradise beach might not be possible, where else can I camp in the night, that I can reach at that time? Or should i start late to reach maybe the next day?

• trekkerp Post author

10 in the night in December (a winter month) in Gokarna is really too late. All the shops and hotels will be mostly closed and there will be completely dark on the beaches. Also, To trek to Paradise beach for camping, you will have to trek. the first question is: Do you know the route? Are you alone? Will you have enough water and food for the night? what if it rains? Leave aside the wildlife encounters, if any or other unseen problems…

So, looking at the above factors, I will not advise you to do so at all. The second option sound much better. You reach there early, get fresh, start trekking to the paradise beach.

4. atul

Hey bro..i goin to pitch my own tent..only concern is drinking water source…? is it available at paradise beach or i hv to carry water.

• Vaibhav

Hi Atul,

Are you carrying your tent with you or got it on rent. We are also planning to come to Gokarna this weekend and planning to use tent for sleeping.

5. Lissiue Maria

It’s a wonderful blog and I think I got almost everything I need! Thank you so much. I had an inquiry though. Is camping on paradise beach safe? And is it still allowed, ’cause I heard it’s not allowed anymore.

• trekkerp Post author

Officially its not allowed… But on the festive time/ weekend, try not to camp there…. however, duing off-season camping on paradise beach seeks no trouble…

• Lissiue Maria

I was planning to go on one of the weekends in September with two of my friejds. I’m guessing that should be okay since it’s off season?

• trekkerp Post author

Yeah, that’s right…. try to avoid weekends… and if police asks you pretend as if you do not know anything about it :P… Good luck

6. Arjun

Me and few of my friends are planning to spend new year in gokarna
    We prefer tents pitched along the beach rather than stay in some hotels
    And a beer at hand while counting down for the next year seems to be a good idea
    So
    Which beach is the best for tents and for some booze during December31st ..New year time .
    Also do we get to rent tents there ?

• trekkerp Post author

Hi Arjun,

You cannot rent tents there. According to what you are looking for I think Paradise beach should be perfect. Be reminded that during occasions like new year, police gets strict….

• sumanth

hie is there any new eyar party at gokarna where we can join a group?? we are 4 ppl willing to trvael. 2 guys and 2 gals..but the more the group is more fun..suggest me

7. bechu

I would like to know which is the cleanest and pleasant beach in gokarna. Where we could have hastle free night walks and have a laidback evening with beer.

8. Sami

Hi, its a very helpful Article, I am planning to visit Gokarna from 8th novemeber to 12 Novemeber 2015. I am planning to carry my own camp and wish to stay at Paradise Beach. Do you think around this time there will be any issue?

9. Samuel Ebenezer

hey bro i’m thinking of camping on paradise beach a week from now. what are the risks involved. i read on the wikitravel page that cops and forest officials frequent the area. i do not smoke charas or take any other hallucinogenic substance.

• trekkerpedia

Hi Samual,

I think there should not be any risk involved because there are no festivals around and also, it’s not a peak season. However, The temperature might be very hot these days so, I would rather suggest you to take a look of the weather in Gokarna and around and then plan your camping. If at all everything suits you.

On an over all note, there should not be any problem

• Samuel Ebenezer

Thank you for this, sorry for the late reply. We did go camping and the 2nd night we were there it rained 😀 haha so it was pretty fun…thank you again 🙂

10. najumudheen

hie , you mentioned that Camping is allowed in Paradise beach , and also to be aware of local police thr while camping… is camping hastle free here ???

• trekkerp Post author

Hi Najumudheen,

People rarely go to paradise and police too… Since this is off season.. there should not be any problem… yeah its haslte free

How was it? Please reply.....